Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Day 243: The Yoyo Doll


On Sunday I finished the Yoyo Doll, and I'm really pleased with how it came out. I had to have two goes at doing the hair, as my original idea didn't work, but I'm happy with the result. Altogether it took me about a week to make, just working a couple of hours in the evenings, and a few more on Sunday when I made the hands, feet and head, and put it all together. Elizabeth loves it, and has named her 'Susan'. She was so happy when it was finally done, and she gave me a trophy :)

You can see some more pictures of the doll here.

Since I finished it on Sunday, Edward has managed to pull it apart twice already! I think my problem was using elastic to put it all together. I used elastic as that's what I remember my Nannie's one being made with. It adds a little extra bouncy fun to the doll. But apparently the elastic I used wasn't strong enough, or I didn't use a big enough knot. Anyway, after the second break I mended it using several strands of strong thread, so hopefully it will last a bit longer now.

I had a few yoyos left over, so I made a little alien for Edward. I was hoping this would preempt any fights over the doll. However, he hasn't really shown any interest in playing with either of them, he just likes to pull them apart!

It was a fun project, and quite easy to do. I may make another one in the future. I had an idea for an angel, so maybe I'll do that for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment