Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Day 215: Shots - they don't hurt!


Today Elizabeth had her annual checkup. I knew she would be worried about shots, so I didn't tell her we were going until about half an hour before we had to leave. As predicted, the first thing she said was "Am I going to get a shot?". When I told her 'yes', she started sobbing, and was really upset. I thought I was going to have a hard time getting her in the car, but although she was so upset, she was very good. The only time she fought me was when I tried to put her shoes on. But she got into the car and actually calmed down a little. Dave met us at the doctor's. During the exam she was calm and well-behaved. When it came time for the shots she got a bit upset again, but didn't struggle as much as she usually does. First she had to get a TB test, then she had to get one shot in the arm. She held on to me, crying and saying "I'm being brave! I'm being brave!". I guess the nurse was a good shot, because as soon as he was done she said "That didn't hurt!". Hopefully that will help to quell her fear of shots in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment