Friday, August 20, 2010

Day 232: Making a Yo-Yo Doll


In a catalog recently I saw Yoyo Dolls for sale. I remember my Nannie having one of these that she let me play with when I was a little girl, so I decided to make one myself for Elizabeth. I was pretty sure it would be fairly straightforward, and when I looked up some directions online I found I was correct. I couldn't do anything until I got some old clothes from Goodwill though. We did that at the weekend, so after I washed them I started cutting out the circles tonight. The basic steps are:

1 - cut out lots of big circles from scraps of fabric.
2 - sew all around the edge of each circle in a running stitch, then pull the thread to gather up the edge. This makes the 'yoyo'.
3 - string lots of yoyos together on elastic to make arms, legs and body.
4 - attach hands, feet and a head.

I haven't quite figured out how I'm going to do the head yet, but it shouldn't be too hard. I'm really looking forward to seeing how it comes out. Elizabeth asks me every five minutes if it's finished yet!! I'll post some more pictures as the project progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment