Friday, August 13, 2010

Day 225: Perseid meteor


Last night I stayed up late watching for meteors. August 12th is the annual Perseid Meteor Shower. Although this is usually the biggest and brightest meteor shower each year, I've never had much luck with it. This year was different though. Almost as soon as I went outside I saw a really bright fireball. I had the kids with me and didn't have my camera set up, so I didn't catch it on camera. I went out again later when they were supposed to be getting more frequent. I set the camera up and settled into a chair next to it, taking 30 second shots continuously. I sat there for about 20 minutes, and although I did see a couple of faint meteors, I wasn't sure if I had caught them on camera. My backyard is surrounded by a lot of trees, so I decided to change position. I saw a few more, but by 1.30 am I was cold and tired and had had enough, so I went back inside to see what I'd got. I was delighted to find this shot among the 100+ pictures I took! Since it was taken after midnight, it can still count as today's picture :)

No comments:

Post a Comment